Saturday, 31 October 2015

Easy Cupcake Recipe


Hello everyone,

Happy Halloween!

Today (as something fun to do, and to hand out to Trick-or-Treaters), I decided to bake some cupcakes. I really enjoyed making these and the recipe was very simple, so I thought that I would share it with you. I did have make a few changes to the recipe when I didn't have all of the ingredients, and my cupcakes didn't turn out perfect, but I had fun making them and they were very tasty, too.

INGREDIENTS (makes 12)

You will need 110g (4 oz) of self-raising flour, two free-range eggs, 110g of caster sugar, one teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 1-2 tablespoons of milk.
I actually didn't have any vanilla extract, so I decided to make mine chocolate flavored instead. You could use coco powder or hot chocolate for this.

To decorate, I used Buttercream. To make this, you need 140g (5 oz) of butter, 280g (10 oz) icing sugar, 1-2 tablespoons of milk, and you could also add some food colouring.

I'd also like to note that, for people with allergies or intolerances, I used a dairy free version for each ingredient and the cakes still baked and turned out just as well.


METHOD
 
- Before you start, switch on the oven and heat it at 180C//350F//Gas 4. This is just to make sure that the oven is already prepared and ready to bake your cupcakes later. You also want to line a cupcake/muffin tin with twelve cases. Make sure that these are oven safe.

- The next thing that you need to do is to add your sugar and butter together in a large bowl. Cream them together. Once your mixture is pale and smooth, crack in one of your eggs. Stir it into the mixture. When it is no longer visible, repeat with your second egg.

- Then mix in your vanilla extract (or hot chocolate!). At this point, mine was looking like this:


 

 
- After that, you need to add your flour - which made it look much more appetizing, and chocolaty! I added in the milk as well, until it reached a smooth consistency.
- When you're happy with the mixture, spoon it evenly into the cupcake cases that you set up earlier. For me, this was the tricky part! It was hard to keep the mixture tidy - I ended up with a bit of gloopy mess around the cases, where I'd dropped some of the mixture!
- Bake them in your oven for about ten minutes. They might need a couple of minutes extra - you could always press a fork into the middle one to test if they are ready (if they need more time, the fork will come out with mixture stuck to it). While they are cooking, you can make a start on the Buttercream. When they are ready, leave your cupcakes to cool for around five-ten minutes.

 BUTTERCREAM/ICING

- Now you have made your cupcakes, you can make a start on decorating them. Grab a bowl, and add in your butter. Beat it until it's smooth.

- Next, tip in about half of your icing sugar. Again, beat it until it is soft and smooth.

- After that, you want to repeat with the remaining icing sugar, but this time adding your milk, too.

- I didn't use any food colouring, but if you want to add some to perk up the colour, mix in some now. Stir until the colour has spread evenly.


- Now, you can decorate your cupcakes with the Buttercream! A piping bag might be easiest, or you could use a spoon to spread it across the top. I struggled with this part and the decorating went a bit wrong, but I was still pleased with them. I added two raisins to top each one off, to look like eyes, adding to the Halloween theme.

That's everything I did to make my cupcakes! The recipe was very quick, simple and I only needed a few ingredients. Overall, they were tasty and very fun to make. 

Please leave a comment below and let me know whether you have given these a go, or your favourite thing to bake!

Thank you so much for reading,
From Beth :) x
Follow me on Bloglovin' : 
 https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/beths-blog-14508071?widgetv3=http%3A%2F%2Fbethmay75.blogspot.co.uk%2F

 <a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/14508071/?claim=j7ypg7vnvmh">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

Related Articles

7 comments :

  1. That sounds yummy! I like that you used free-range eggs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Cool! What'd you go as for Halloween?

      Delete
    2. I don't really do Halloween, but I was helping out at a childrens Halloween party on Friday - I painted my face as a spider! What did you go as?xx

      Delete

Please feel free to comment - I'd love to hear your opinions. :) x

Powered by Blogger.