Thursday, 21 January 2016

How To | Fairy Jam Jar


I was checking through my old posts when I realized that I'm long over due to write up an art and craft blog post. I've been working on this little fairy house. I think it's such a cute and fun project - perfect for doing as a present, with kids, or to add a little bit of magic to your home or garden. I made mine using Fimo (links here), but you could use clay, Plasticine or even PlayDough. I chose to use Fimo because it comes in colours (no need to paint!) and it goes hard when baked. The idea is that you end up with a miniature house to keep a candle inside - with the candle in, it glows, looking really pretty. 

 All I used for this was a GLASS JAR and some FIMO (links here). 
 
I used a rolling pin to roll out a very thin layer of green Fimo clay and pressed it along the bottom of the glass. This took up about half the height of the jam jar and used half a block of small Fimo. If you cover all the way up to the top of the jar, you could create walls - it would be fun to experiment and carve brick work - but I wanted mine to look like grass. I used a knife to carve out a zig-zag line all the way around the top of the green to create that look.

I then carved out a door and window (rolling them out the same as above) and arranging them on the glass. On my door, I added a tiny bell (oven safe; it's metal) to the handle. I think this is actually my favourite part of the house because the bell looks like a little pad lock.

When I'd done (it took a couple of hours), it cooked in the oven for about fifteen minutes.

I've still got to make the roof, but I'm really pleased with it so far and it's been so fun to make. 

Do you have any craft ideas?

Related Articles

28 comments :

  1. This is so cute! I love this sort of enchanting little thing. One of my friends made a music jam jar, which was very cute. Thanks for sharing this lovely craft!
    www.rosieauthorwriting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Rosie! Music jam jar sounds lovely xx

      Delete
  2. Aw this is so flipping cute! I'm a thorough believer in all things fantasy and magic- I've always love it since childhood! I'll have to try this sometime!;) xxx

    Check out my blog?
    www.hannahporterx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Hannah! Me too!xx

      Delete
  3. Is it sad to say that I thought you meant for it to be a sand sculpture at first? I know, I know... But it's still awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sand sculpture would have been very cool..! Thanks, El!xx

      Delete
  4. This is such a sweet idea! I'll definitely try this out soon x

    Alice
    www.girlabroadblogs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cute and magical idea! It looks so good!xx
    pinksmartiesblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey. just found your blog on bloglovin. just followed. this is such a cute DIY project..i think I might try this out with my niece. shes into stuff like this.

    xoxo,
    geri

    http://everydaylivingnyc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Hope you give it a go, it's a really fun project. Going over to follow back xx

      Delete
  7. This is absolutely adorable!!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Just found your blog, and your DIY projects are A D O R A B L E! Don't you just love making your own room decor? It's so fun! Just followed btw, can't wait for future DIYs!

    Miriam xx <3

    Simplymiriam32.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      Thank you so much!! Yes, I love making stuff for my room! Thanks again & going over to have a look at your blog xx

      Delete
  9. Awwww, this is a must have, I need to try this out. Mind checking my blog out and maybe commenting xoxo
    Ella
    ellacrabb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cute! I love DIY projects :)

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh this is so cool! I work with children and it looks like an amazing idea to do with them! I love DIY crafts, it shows how creative people can get ^^
    Acqua xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Guess what? I made it like I said I was going to! It turned out lovely and was a great gift for my younger sister!:)xx

    Check out my recent post?
    www.hannahporterx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm so glad! Going over to have a look now xx

      Delete
  13. This jar is super cute and creative! I'd love to have an imagination like this xx


    Holly xox

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment - I'd love to hear your opinions. :) x

Powered by Blogger.