Saturday, 23 July 2016

Books I'd Like to Read | With Rosie

Nothing beats curling up, absorbed in a new book. For a while now, I've had a mental list of books that I'd like and decided to order a couple of them - I can't wait to get reading. Reading has always been something that I love - from looking at pop-up picture books when I was little, to now, when I constantly have a book on the go.
A couple of years ago, I read Invisible Girl by Kate Maryon and absolutely loved it. For a while now, I've been meaning to read some of her other books - so I ordered a copy of A Million Angels, and can't wait to get reading. One of the things that appeals most to me about Kate's books is the beautiful illustrations on the covers. This one is particularly pretty, and I love how there are clues to the story hidden within the drawings - the angels, gas masks, letters, and plane, hint at the theme of war. On the blurb, it tells us that Jemima's dad is in the army and going to Afghanistan - ''While Mima is sending Dad millions of guardian angels to keep him safe, who is looking out for her?'

The next book that I ordered was Girls in Tears. Since I was about seven, Jacqueline Wilson has been my favourite author and, in the last few years, I started collecting her teenage books. Girls in Tears is a book from a series about three girls, Ellie, Magda, and Nadine. Having loved the other three in the series, I've been wanting to give this one a read for a while. 'Buckets of tears are wept and hundreds of tissues sniffled into. Can the girls survive these testing times?'

The last book the I've chosen is Quiet Power by Susan Cain. Having had this book for a little while, I've dipped in and read some chapters - but I'm hoping to sit down and read it properly at some point soon.This one is slightly different to the other ones that I've chosen because it's a non-fiction book. From what I've read so far, this book is really useful. The aim of it is to give advice to teenagers who are introverted or quiet - along with each chapter, there are quotes and stories from other people to relate to.

What authors do you recommend?

Make sure you go over and read Rosie's 'to read' list and read through
her lovely blog:

Related Articles

28 comments :

  1. It was so much fun collabing Beth! Love your picks, I read a million angels and I liked it, had a really interesting plot. Would be fun to collab again sometime xx
    www.rosieauthorwriting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely - I loved collabing with you! Thank you so much - I can't wait to give A Million Angels a read Xx

      Delete
  2. I'd definitely recommend me before you! It's so heart warming and just a really lovely read!xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much, Hannah. I'll have to give that one a read! Xx

      Delete
    2. Please do!xx

      Check out my recent?
      www.hannahporterx.blogspot.co.uk

      Delete
  3. Really interesting to read Beth- I'll go check Rosie's out too xx

    P.S. I shall never stop recommending the Call the Midwife books xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much, Marti! Haha, they're also on my To-Read list Xx

      Delete
  4. Quiet power sounds really interesting! I'm a life long fan of JR too :))

    Alice x
    girlabroadblogs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd really recommend it! Thanks, Alice Xx

      Delete
  5. I LOVE Quiet by Susan Cain. It's absolutely amazing. along the same lines that I'd like to read is Reasons to Stay Alive by Matt Haig. I've heard it's amazing as well xX loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! I think Quiet is for adults, whereas she wrote Quiet Power for teens, so I think I'll definitely give it a read in a few years, especially if you love it. thanks, Kynia Xx

      Delete
  6. I love that series of books by Jacqueline Wilson! They were my favourites growing up!!! I really want to read them all again now! Great post xx

    Thrifty vintage fashion

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! I wish I'd had the last book when I was younger, it would've been reaaaaally useful!

    onmywayacqua.blogspot.com | Acqua xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much, Acqua! It is so useful - she's written one for adults called Quiet that you might like Xx

      Delete
  8. Some great recommendations here Beth! I need to check these out soon xx Great post


    Lou Loves // www.louloves01.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really recommend Gayle Forman's books, I want to read Quiet Power now! xx
    blossomofhope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much, I definitely recommend it! Xx

      Delete
  10. It was great to see what books you want to read! This was a fun collab idea! I'll go check out Rosie's post now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Firstly, I love Kate Maryon books too. Recently, I had finished reading "Glitter" which I thought was amazing. What I particularly like about her books is how easy it to to relate to the characters in her books and...feel what they're feeling. I have also read many Jacqueline Wilson books. To give you advice from my own personal experience, I would recommend not to read TOO many of her books and try to vary your variety of books if you mainly read hers. If you don't read her books consistently,that's good! The last book which you had recommended, I haven't yet read but it appears as interesting so I might check that book out at a bookstore. Overall, good collaboration.

    Ps: I'd personally recommend for you to read either "One" by Sarah Crossan or "Fangirl" by Rainbow Rowell.

    #sweetreats xx www.bakingboutiquebirds.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for commenting! I love Kate Maryon's books too. I've heard lots of good things about Fangirl so I might give that one a read Xx

      Delete
  12. Amazing post! I love books, and they have always been my best friends. All these books sound interesting, and I want to try them soon. Have you read A Work in Progress by Connor Franta? If you haven't, I'd surely recommend it.
    :):)Autumn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! I love books too. I haven't read that one yet - I'll have to add it to my ToRead list! Xx

      Delete
  13. Wow, your blog is amazing! I love it! xx
    Would you like to follow each other? If yes, please follow me on the both of my blogs and let me know in the comments of my newest posts so I can follow you ASAP.
    Have a great day!

    Vildana from Living Like V & Stalia Is BAE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! yes, of course, I'll follow you now Xx

      Delete

Please feel free to comment - I'd love to hear your opinions. :) x

Powered by Blogger.